Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's a new year

Ugh. So much for my intention to regularly post here about my art endeavors. Oh, well, we can only go forward, n'est-ce pas?

Things I am doing in 2008 for my artistic health:

1) Taking my first PMC class next Weds. Several months ago I was at a bead store's customer sale (where customers set up to sell their unwanted beads/supplies) and scored a PMC hot pot kit and a gob of supplies for $25! (I know! it made me squeal like a teenager!) The same store also offers classes, so rather than start fooling around with the stuff and making a hash of it I'm going to FIRST take a class. And my friend MC is coming with, which is always fun. I know, I know, I always swear I don't need YET ANOTHER MEDIUM TO GET INVOLVED IN because there are always more supplies and tools and ways to spend my money, but hey, many of the tools and supplies and skills I already have from polymer clay and other media will transfer nicely, thank you very much, and besides, $25 freaking dollars, people! That's about 1/4 of what the kit and supplies are worth retail.

See?! I can rationalize with the best of them.

2) Going to my first meeting of (and possibly joining) the local art dolls group. I had previously thought that they were only a fabric doll group (which is not my thing a-tall), but after corresponding with the person who runs their website it seems they do lots of different things. The activity after the meeting this month is image transfer, which I have done in a couple of different ways but it's always good to practice and learn more approaches. My only concern is that the meeting starts at 10:30 a.m. and the activity starts at 1:00 p.m. - PLEASE don't tell me that their meetings are 2.5 hours long?!?!?! Maybe they take a lunch break before the activity. Maybe I should email Cyndi and ask her :).

3) Taking a class on using Shiva PaintStiks on fabric - stenciling, using rubbing plates, etc. I want to start using more fabric in my work and any time I can take plain inexpensive fabric and customize it that's a good thing.

4) Reading and working through Sark's Make Your Creative Dreams REAL: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, Avoiders, and People Who Would Rather Sleep All Day. I have discovered that much of my procrastination/avoidance is perfectionism gone awry. I get so overwhelmed by the prospect of having to do everything right - and right the first time - that I do nothing. Which means the things that aren't getting done pile up, which makes me more overwhelmed... None of this is conscious, of course, but the fact that I'm unaware I'm doing it doesn't make it less of a problem. SARK may be a little too cheesy/magical thinking/New Agey for a lot of people, but she's walking her talk, and her books are a joy for me to read. If you can read one of SARK's books without a big smile on your face through most of it, I would suspect you need a heart transplant. Or a big ol' squooshy hug.


On a less resolution-y note, I got Jane Wynn's Altered Curiosities for Xmas and am nearly giddy over it. I have gotten to the point where I HATE project books, because so much of the time they tend to gloss over the process in favor of the outcome, and I'd much rather learn new techniques and then apply them to my own stuff. Jane has achieved a lovely balance - starting with a raft of diverse techniques (resin, metalworking, reworking little plastic doo-dads) and then applying them to a handful of projects that are easily adaptable to your own choices. The best part, IMHO, is the section where she talks about the process of working out *your own personal symbology* and how important that is to making art that is truly yours. I've had the book out of the library for a couple of months already, so getting my own copy was an excellent score. Of course there were a few questions I had, so I looked up her website and emailed her - got an awesomely gracious note in return and answers to my questions. I'm finding that people are extraordinarily generous with their knowledge and experience - hopefully some day I'll be able to return the favor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just did...

Your brilliant review of me and my book WARMS my heart!

I am so glad that I am helping you to make more art-

My ultimate goal is to FILL the world with inspired artists! Haaa!

Thank you so very much. I am truly grateful!

XoxoxoX
J a n e

Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm so jealous of your score. I would love to do PMC.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out where to get PCB etchant solution in Canada because Radio Shack turned into something else called The Source (how smart was that, I ask you, trying googling Radio Shack and then The Source) and they don't sell it.

I also got Jane Wynn's book for Christmas. I am thrilled. You gotta love someone who uses BUGS and TEETH (where on earth did she get the teeth).

Are you familiar with Jane Dunnewold's Complex Cloth? Its pretty cool, and she has a new book about personal symbols Finding Your Own Visual Language. Plus another one about different ways to create screens for screenprinting. http://www.artclothstudios.com/Artcloth_Store/Booksstore/booksstore.html

Hugs,
Alex