Wednesday, February 6, 2008

This is some of the stuff I played around with at Sunday's Shiva PaintStiks class:

Two tries using the same rubber stamp behind plain black cotton fabric - on the blue side, I took a gold paintstik and just brushed it over a few spots to highlight. The teacher liked it and picked it up to show the other folks in class - there was a lot of that, showing people what ideas others had and how they turned out.


This was fun - a piece of pre-printed fabric, white on white, that the teacher handed out samples of so we could see how different surfaces respond differently. When I applied the paintstik, smudging it over the surface, the white pattern and the white background each took the paint in different ways. Used another spiral texture as a rubbing plate behind the fabric (you may notice a pattern here. I have spirals all over the place.) - LOVE how this turned out.


This was a Roylco rubbing plate of ginkgo leaves - hard to keep the paint right where the outline was, because I was working blind. You really have to feel your way. I could see doing this as a repeat all over a piece of fabric.


This is one unmounted rubber stamp, and I taped it to the table to I could use different colors without losing the alignment of the design. The leaves were a learning experience: on the first one (at right), I had folded the fabric under so it would be out of the way, but the multiple layers made the design muddy. The green one in the middle and the gold one on the left are both done with the fabric stretched out in a single layer.


Tomorrow is the 5th day after the class - you have to let the paint cure completely before heat-setting it. You can iron each piece, or toss them all in the dryer on high for 30 minutes. Guess which option I'm choosing.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Very beautiful designs! I would guess 30 minutes in the dryer, rather than ironing each piece. At least that would be what I would do!